Sunday, March 18, 2012

St. Patrick's Day in Key West

Was walking the dogs at 6:30 am and had already passed 2 leprechauns in full regalia. The city was on fire by around 9. There's a very small Irish bar right around the corner from the house and I couldn't figure out why there were so many people lined up to get in at 10 am. Turns out that they sold 900 tickets to a pub crawl in town! That's about the full population of Key West!

I headed out to Ocean Key where I had a marvelous time sitting at the pool, reading the "newspaper" which doesn't carry much news, and watching the boats on the gulf. Started to burn after just an hour so hit the homestead where I floated in the hot tub (which wasn't hot) for a bit before napping. Ah, the travails of Key West...

I took Gizmo for a walk up Duval to a small rum bar John and I found. The proprietor, Bob, served me and gave me a hefty discount as I'm a local! How cool! I'm a local in Key West. Loving it. Gizmo was on my lap for the time I sat on the bar stool and drew quite a crowd. 7 very tipsy very funny men came in and passed her around. She was loving it. They left and a quiet and calm came back over the place. Perfect afternoon.

I found a teeny place to buy fresh fish called Tomasito's. Mama Cita, the proprietor, sells, from what I gathered through our communication gap, any fish that her husband and son bring home. So, dinner for Sharyn and me was fresh shrimp that were the best I've ever in my life had and stone crabs. Now, I'm not such a fan of stone crab as I really don't care for cold seafood and the claws have to be eaten cold. They also are quite expensive and, bang for the buck, there isn't much for me.

Dessert was a waddle over to Better than Sex, the most wonderful dessert shop on the planet. They open from 6pm - 2am and only serve dessert. The place is very dimly lit so quite sexy, not that that helped Sharyn and me. We bellied up to the bar for chocolate rimmed Merlot glasses and an exquisite piece of bread pudding. Waddle back home took slightly longer but then bed was wonderful.

So, here i am, 8am in the morning for another day in Paradise. What to do, what to do....I'm thinking a day at the beach may be nice but have to walk the dogs first. Trying to get 7 miles in a day and have been pretty successful of late. Ok, readers, hope your day is as great as mine is about to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment