Saturday, March 3, 2012

Key West, Here I Come!

I spent the last 5 years caring for my aging Mom, Gertie, who died Feb 15, 2012 - just 2 short weeks ago. As part of my rejuvenation, I've long planned to runaway to fabulous Key West, Florida and that's exactly what I plan on doing. I'll be spending 6 weeks (this time around) in a cottage 1/2 block off Duval Street with more trips planned for later in the year.

Key West, Florida is paradise - at least, it is to me and those I love the best. I used to travel to the Keys with my family during winter school vacations where we'd charter the Float Along, Ted Schmidt's boat. I know that Ted is gone but those days of watching him feed his pet pelican a small fish from the back of the boat instilled something in me. We'd catch Wahoo, Barracuda, and Dad even won a trophy for a 300 lb Grouper.

Key West ocean breezes are invigorating, the people are fascinating, and the atmosphere just couldn't be more laid back and perfect for this time in my life. I planned the trip before Mom died and told her about it. She was quite pleased that I was going to have this adventure.

So, in this Key West Travels blog, I plan on documenting my adventure to and around Key West. Sharyn and I are driving down with Killian, my Aussie, and Gizmo, my littlest girl dog, leaving the second week of March. We'll be towing the jet ski as there's almost no better place in the world to have water wings than Key West! Sharyn will stay with me the first two weeks and then fly home. John will be coming in every other weekend (flights are already booked and ready to go!) so we'll have time to really miss each other before each reunion. Assorted friends are planning on coming down for a visit also so, all in all, a wonderful time is planned.

The very first Key West adventure I have in the works is a personal dolphin tour. I'm not one to visit zoos or aquariums as I think that it's a shame animals meant to be in the wild are in captivity. That's not to say that I don't support charities that rehab animals - that's high on my lift. But, as to seeing a killer whale jump through a hoop, count me out. I much prefer the times we've spent floating on a boat or in a raft off the Key West reef and have seen wild dolphins in the vista. Bobbi is the official dolphin spotter but I hope to elevate my talents to her skill level.

We're also going to go on a head boat fishing charter out of Key West so Sharyn and I will, hopefully, fill our freezer with fish for days to come. John also bought me this extremely cool collapsible fishing pole so I can jet on out to fertile grounds and catch my own yellow tail tuna. Yum!

So, dear readers, come along with me as I go about the beginning of the rest of my life. I believe I'm on the path to nirvana.

Note: all pictures on this blog are copyrighted by Lori Burdoo. Please do not use them in any publications without my permission. But, you're in luck - ask me and I'll probably share!

No comments:

Post a Comment