Wednesday, March 28, 2012

More Key West Fodder

Going under A1A to the Gulf 

Spent Sunday back on the jet ski for just a bit. I was piloting and, of course, John fell off - well, so did I but I ditched intentionally so we didn't capsize the ski. John used the occasion to remind me that, when I pilot, we always end up in the water. I think he was just a poor sport....

Jetted off to the gulf side which is so shallow it was a bit scary. There's places where the water goes from 8' to 1' with no warning whatsoever. So, we turned around and headed for the blue Atlantic which doesn't have that problem. Rode back out to the sandbar again and flopped around for a while before heading back - we'd gotten too much sun on Saturday so it was the prudent thing to do. Besides, we didn't have a beer opener with us (a guffaw that won't happen again)....

Decided to come home and get cleaned up. After a short walk with the dogs, we headed down to the White Tarpon for just "one" cocktail. Well, two cocktails later we were weaving our way up Duval. Note to self: those martinis are strong! Met up with Sharyn and decided to try Martinis, a newer bar on Duval. Very nice. It has the sofa seating like John and I like and good quality cocktails. After that, I think we waddled down to the Bull and Whistle but may have to consult my cohorts for more info.

I do know, though, that we spent the majority of the our eveing at Pete's piano bar. If you're ever in Key West, it's a must go-to place. There's two facing pianos and the guys who play are like a comedy team but they really do play the piano, and well. They're really a lot of fun. It's spring break down here so the younger college kids were a lot of fun to watch bop around as we elders sipped our 2-minimum cocktails. A great time was had by all. One of the teeny boppers came over and told me what a fine man I had by my side. I know!

The next day found us packing John up for the rather sad trip home. I was really saddened to see him go as I've discovered that home is where John is. The house just isn't the same without him. But, ah, the sadness didn't stop Sharyn and me from buzzing up the keys in the car to find a beach upon which to perch for a few hours. We ended up at Bahia Honda Park at mile marker 37 which, you think would take about 40 minutes to get to but not on Rt. 1. An hour later, we pulled into paradise as can be evidenced by these pictures:

Just a stunning place to set for a spell
The beach stretches on for miles north and south

After snorkeling around and seeing just a few fish, Mangrove Groupers, we sat and read Kindles until our skin started to sizzle.

Coming back to Key West, I decided to try out my new little fishing pole that John gave me. It's the best thing EVER! It's folds to just around 8" long but expands to a full sized rod. I pulled it out and a man and woman watching asked "Are you really going to catch fish on that thing?" I said "Just watch me." Threw on a hook, a few split shot, a piece of squid and the very first cast brought up this thing in the first pic which I think might be a grouper (albeit, one who might be yellin' for mama....

Sharyn even got in the act although she's not as adept at casting as I am. In fact, good thing we both had sunglasses on! But, we sat and fished for 40 minutes or so and have a blast. Here's a few more of my trophies:


Came home and made a delicious dinner of fresh scallops and snapper that I'd talked a boat captain into throwing my way. All in all, a great day!

And, love these pics:

It takes a big man to walk a small dog -
especially in Key West!

She likes it up there - honest




No comments:

Post a Comment