Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Key West Bound!

Yesterday saw Sharyn, Killian, Gizmo and me rushing like a herd of turtles to get out the door and hit the open road to Paradise. We left around 10am and pulled into Savannah, our first stop, around 7 pm. Now, normally, we would have made better time but 2 of us (who shall remain nameless) got antsy and had to get out of the car periodically (ok, it was Sharyn and me)...

We stopped and let the dogs out every few hours and, since we're towing the jet ski, we had to give the car a couple of good drinks along the way.

Savannah is gorgeous and I only wish I had more time here. We're smack dab in the middle of downtown, no mean feat when pulling the jet ski. The nice woman at the hotel desk had to call a guy in his room to come move his car so that I could have the only large spot in which to park the truck and ski. It was quite comical to see 4 of us try to figure out how to back the ski into said spot. After a bit, I just went around the block and came in face first. Now, this could well present a problem today when I have to back out....should have thought more ahead.

Sharyn and I saddled up the dogs and headed to dinner at a town square (the place is all squares!). We ended up in the City Market area where a beautiful fountain periodically spurts water in tall plumes. Sharyn and I were both impressed with how gentile the city seems; people wandered around and all seemed to be having a great time. We settled in a restaurant with outdoor seating so the dogs could be with us. I love that this city is so dog-friendly. Every place should be like this! You see every kind of pure breed and mongrel mixing and having an all around good time. Killian was a bit on end walking to the square but, then again, he's a country dog in a city setting. The backfire from a bus would have made Killian's fur stand on end if he wasn't shaved bald in prep for Key West. But, the walk back was much better. He relaxed as did I. He's actually been quite the trooper although Gizmo is a pain in the ass. I've pretty much figured out that I'll put Gizmo in an obedience class in KW and do private lessons with Killian. I'll be busy!

Ok, off today down to Fort Lauderdale which shows a 7 hour drive on MapQuest. In fine Joe-fashion "I can beat that time." My dear father would always try to beat his best time driving from Arizona to Maryland. I think, one time, he made it in, oh, 4 hours. More later!

No comments:

Post a Comment